Pitty Painting by William Blake
Famous artwork by William Blake
"An apparently lifeless woman lies on the ground. Above her two female figures rush by on horses, the wind lifting their hair. One of the women looks down and is holding a tiny child. The work illustrates a passage from Shakespeare in which Macbeth contemplates the results of the murder of Duncan: 'pity, like a newborn babe, striding the blast of heaven's cherubin, hors'd...'. Blake's precisely delineated forms, rejecting traditional composition and ideas of perspective, evoke an enigmatic otherworldliness.
His style reflects his uniquely personal, mystical vision, in which imagination and reality become one. Originally a book engraver by trade, Blake's genius expressed itself through his poetry as well as hi striking symbolic paintings. He believed that the spiritual was more important than the material world, and that the true artist is a prophet because he or she is given divine insight."
Beard, L., Butler, A., Cleave, C. V., Fortenberry, D., & Stirling, S. (2014). The art book. London: Phaidon Press.
The perfect accent for any space! Each wood print is unique due to the natural qualities of each individual panel of wood.
• Wood canvas made from Birchwood sourced from sustainable Canadian forests
• UV set inks, meaning the print resists water
• Each wood print is made in Montreal, Canada
• Easy care, don’t touch the print if you don’t have to, but you can wipe it with a dry or damp cloth to remove dust
• Arrives ready to hang! 4 panel frame in back allows you to just pop the wood print on a small nail in the wall, no wires necessary
Pitty by William Blake
ATX Fine Arts is the best online art gallery to buy famous artwork. Fine arts for sale. Affordable art paintings to decorate your home or business with original classic art.
Fine art - Fine art paintings - Fine art artists - Fine arts subjects - Fine art America -Fine art for sale.